After our recent upgrade of vCloud Director from 1.5 to 5.1.2 we started to see some errors during our automated provisioning of VSEs that included the sub allocation of IPs…When creating a new VSE you will see an error similar to what shown below.


Basically the bug incorrectly reports available IPs as being in use. Our devs have put in a workaround that blackholed those IPs so they are not used, but it’s very much a reactive workaround.

In the release notes for vCloud 5.1.3 we found the following fix listed

  • Unused external IP addresses from sub-allocated IP pools of the gateway failed after upgrading from vCloud Director 1.5.1 to vCloud Director 5.1.2
    After upgrading vCloud Director from version 1.5.1 to version 5.1.2, attempting to remove unused external IP addresses from sub-allocated IP pools of a gateway failed saying that IPs are in use. This issue is resolved in vCloud Director 5.1.3.

Brilliant right! So we deployed in the lab and found that we still came across the error. After getting a VMware SR going and uploading the CELL Logs Global Support came back today and said that this was actually not resolved in 5.1.3 and the bug remains in play. The lead vCloud Dev indicated that this was released in error and the notes will be updated to reflect the fact a fix is not contained in the 5.1.3 release.

No ETA on the fix.