Yesterday I presented at Tech Field Day 20. My first topic was on the enhancements we are bringing to Cloud Tier in our Backup & Replication v10 release. Rick Vanover setup the v10 enhancement session by doing some ground work on what a Scale Out Backup Repository is and briefly went over the initial features of Cloud Tier released in Backup & Replication Update 4.
We had a few questions around some of the terminology being used with regards to the Cloud Tier so I thought as a followup I would list out the glossary of terminology I’ve been building since the Update 4 release with the additions of the new v10 enhancements.
- Cloud Tier – Cloud Tier is the name given to this feature in Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 Update 4
- Object Storage Repository – Object Storage Repository is the name given to a repository that is backed by Amazon S3, Azure Blob or IBM Cloud
- Scale Out Backup Repository (SOBR) – Scale-Out Backup Repository is a Veeam feature first introduced in Veeam Backup & Replication v9. It consists of one or more Performance Tier extents and exactly one Capacity Tier extent.
- Capacity Tier – Capacity Tier is the name given to extent on a SOBR using an Object Storage Repository.
- Performance Tier – Name given to the one or more extents on a SOBR using a standard backup repository
- Move Mode – Name given to a policy introduced in Update 4 that offloads data from sealed chains and has it in either Performance or Capacity Tier
- Copy Mode – Name given to policy coming in v10 that immediately duplicates backup files from Performance to Capacity Tier once a backup job has completed
- Offload Job – Name given to the process that moves data from Performance to Capacity Tier
- Immutability Period – New feature coming in v10 that sets an Amazon S3 or S3 Compatible Object Lock on blocks copied or moved from the Performance or Capacity Tier protecting them against accidental or malicious deletion.
In addition to that, I have pasted a link to the offical Deep Dive Veeam Whitepaper for Cloud Tier that goes into the why the what and the how of the Cloud Tier and dives into the innovative technologies we have built into the feature.
White Paper Link: https://www.veeam.com/wp-cloud-tier-deep-dive.html
If you want to catch the Cloud Field Day 5 presentation on Cloud Tier, as well as the most recent one yesterday at Tech Field Day 20, I have embedded them below.