The Veeam Vanguards where given a first look at the new edition at the Vanguard Day on the Monday and we got given a exclusive run down of the new features before they where announced at this afternoons keynote.
Veeam EndPoint Backup for Linux Features and Highlights*:
- It’s FREE and will always be FREE
- Agent based solution
- Uses a built in Change Block Tracking engine
- Supports Debian and Redhat Linux distributions initially (Ubuntu/CentOS)
- Used a Native Linux Control Widget for Configuration and Monitoring of jobs
- Has a seperate set of CLI commands to configure/modify jobs
- Uses SQLite
At the moment, similar to the iniital release of the Windows version it will only support the following as backup targets
- Local (internal) storage of the protected endpoint (not recommended).
- Direct attached storage (DAS), such as USB, eSATA or Firewire external drives. • Network Attached Storage (NAS) able to represent itself as SMB (CIFS) share.
- Veeam Backup & Replication 9.0 or later backup repository.
No Cloud Connect support yet, but hopefully that will come along in future updates.
Veeam EndPoint Backup for Linux will be available in the first half of 2016 and there will be a limited beta release program with details here.
* Features subject to confirmation once officially announced