Today Veeam made Generally Available Veeam Backup & Replication 11 (Build 126.96.36.1997) and with it comes over 150+ anticipated new features and enhancements. This release feels on a shorter release cycle than v10 (which seems like it was released only yesterday), however v11 is here almost 12 months to the day from that last major release… and it is huge.
This is another very significant release for us as we continue to transition into the next phase of our journey. We have finally delivered on CDP and continued to enhance and advance our backup, restore, mobility and portability capabilities. Data has truly become critical as it has been displaced and had its growth accelerated. That data spans remote office, private on-premises platforms as well as public clouds. v11 allows us to improve speed to restores, while allowing an true end to end policy based approach to the protection of workloads while continuing to drive orchestration and automation.
Together with Backup & Replication v11 we have also released:
- Veeam ONE v11
- Veeam Agent for Windows 5.0
- Veeam Agent for Linux 5.0
- Veeam Agent for Mac 1.0
- Veeam Service Provider Console v5
- Veeam Plug-in for Oracle RMAN Windows x86 v3, Linux x86 v3, Solaris x86 v2, Solaris SPARC v2. AIX v1
- Veeam Plug-in for SAP HANA Linux x86 v3, SAP on Oracle v1
Major Features and Enhancements
The v11 release brings with it a lot of new features and enhancements with the top new features in my eyes being:
- Continuous Data Protection for vSphere
- Archive Tier and Google Cloud Storage to Scale Out Backup Repository
- VMware Cloud Director Site to Site Replication and HTML Tenant Plugin
- Hardened Linux Repository
- New Modern Restful API Service
- Enhanced Linux Proxy Transport Modes
I did want to quickly highlight three new features that I think are significant.
Continuous Data Protection (CDP) is obviously a much anticipated and long awaited feature from us. The ability to protect Tier 1 workloads at per second RPOs with low RTO failover and failback capabilities is something that our customer have patiently waited for from us for a number of years. Time taken is time well spent in this case and this CDP feature is built upon joint R&D efforts from Veeam and VMware which has produced reliability, performance and scalability from the outset. It would have been worth the wait!
The addition of the Archive Tier takes the Scale Out Backup Repository to the next level and now offers three tiers of storage for your backup data to lifecycle through. This will allow for cheaper and deeper storage of data that will almost never be required to to be accessed. But it that happens, we have built in enough smarts to make that recovery process smooth and efficient.
Finally, the new Restful API is a big moment for us as we look to modernize our automation and orchestration toolset. We have been doing this with our more recent releases (Backup for Office365, Console and Backup for AWS) but the more complex job was to make the start on Backup & Replication. Initial documentation can be found here:
What Else is New?
Below are the other features and enhancements included in v11 that i’ve picked out of the What’s New Document that I rate highly.
- Instant Recovery of Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle databases
- Resources scheduler improvements
- New PowerShell Commands and Module
- High priority jobs
- Data Integration API Linux and expanded platform support
- Linux FLR without helper appliance
- Offload operations in Windows event log
- Object Storage Restore Performance Increase
- Cloud Connect Tenant Evacuation
- Persistent data mover for Linux
- Instant first-class disk recovery
- vCloud Director 10.2 support
- Web UI localization for Enterprise Manager
I would encourage anyone using Veeam to study the What’s New document and there is seriously a lot more detail around the ones i’ve mentioned above, and the rest of the new features and enhancements. We have also done a lot of under the hood enhancements to streamline and make more efficient backup operations, reduce load on the server and increase the performance of the Backup & Replication Console.
With regards to the new features and enhancements for VCSPs I’ll be putting together a specific What’s In it For Service Provider Post over the next few days and I will be deep diving into a number of features over the upcoming weeks.
User Guides: Veeam Help Center